Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ibu Marli'ah, Tiger Mother?

I’ve had some exciting interactions with my Ibu over the past few weeks, and its time I shared one. On Saturday, I headed into the city center with my language group after we wrapped up our morning class. The game plan was to wander around, barter for some durian, and then give the smelly fruit a try. However, an unexpected parade threw us off, forcing us to return to the angkot terminal empty-handed about two hours later. I guess our driver was disappointed that he could corral only three passengers. Because after about twenty minutes, he told us that a late afternoon trip towards Malang would cost a total of 50.000 Rp, about seven times the standard rate. After a quick “No thank you, sir” (tidak terima kasih pa,k), we decided to make the trip on foot since there weren’t any other angkots headed our way. The walk took about an hour, and we were only a little late for dinner.

I didn’t expect Ibu to be happy, but I can’t help but think that she had a hand in bringing about what happened next because as soon as I got out of the kamar mandi, I saw a policeman at the door. He introduced himself, offered his cell number, and told me to contact him if I ever have any “trouble”. Coincidence? Maybe. Either way, Ibu took the opportunity to denounce the price gouging angkot driver in vigorous Javanese, and I was thankful I couldn’t offer up a physical description or name.

Other weekend positives: (1) day-tripping to beach at Pulau Sempu, (2) finally convincing Ibu that I can handle unsweetened tea/coffee, (3) receiving positive reports on language progress from PC staff, and


(1) On the walk home from a late language class.


(2) Also on the way home from language class.


(3) Pulau Sempu

No comments:

Post a Comment